For all employees holding Provident Fund accounts, here is some fantastic news. There is no longer any need for undergoing the twisted manual procedure for operating your PF account. Employees’ Provident Fund Organization of India or EPFO has launched online facilities to enable account holders gather information about their updated accounts. Using this one can check your EPF balance up to date and confirm whether the accounts are updated. It also provides details of the latest approved transactions of settlement or advances. It can also be used for transfer-in or transfer-out almost instantaneously. Contribution made to EPF is allowed as deduction under section 80 C of the Income Tax Act, 1961 while filing income tax return. Interest credited to EPF account is totally tax free.
How do you check your EPF balance online?
According to the new online system, you can check your EPF balance from the comfort of your home whenever you want. This means that you do not have to wait for your annual PF slip. Moreover, the process is swift and takes barely 5 minutes. The steps are pretty simple, as demonstrated below:
- First, one must thoroughly check their salary slip and make a note of their EPFO account number. It is an alphanumeric code. It has two alphabets in the beginning and a four-digit account number at the end. The size of the middle portion is variable. This number will be needed for checking PF balance.
- Log in to the official EPFO website. Make sure you are visiting the authentic one. For your convenience, here is the URL: http://www.epfindia.gov.in/
- This is where the process begins. You are required to select the state where your PF office is situated. This is simple and needs no further guidance.
- Now you have to select the appropriate EPFO regional office. If you are confused, take a look at your EPF account number. The two letters at the beginning of the code represents your regional code. Simply follow that.
- Next you are required to fill out the online form with accurate details. Fill in the name as it is mentioned in the salary slip. Put in your personal mobile number.
In the first box, enter the establishment number, that is, the section right after the region code. 7 digits must be entered. If your establishment code is less than 7 digits, put corresponding number of zeroes in the beginning.
In the next box, put the 3 digit extension of the establishment code, if you have any. Else, leave it blank.
Tick I agree box and click submit, you will get an SMS on the provided cell phone number within five minutes.
What to do if the procedure fails?
In case the search shows ‘data not available’, it means either the details are incorrect, or the account has not been updated. In such a case, there are three things you can do.
- Check the details thoroughly and try again.
- Wait for a few days for the account to be updated and try again.
- If it still fails, talk directly to your employer and get your PF account sorted out properly.
Thanks to the new system, users can now check their PF balance online smoothly and without any hitches.