Know your TAN | TAN Verification | How to Find TAN | Know your TAN by Name: Tax Deduction Account Number/ Tax Collection Account Number (TAN), as the name sums it up is used to identify the Tax Deduction Account. People who are governing of collecting or deducting the tax on payments should know their TAN. It is 10-digit long and contains alphanumeric code. People who are eligible to deduct TDS from their payments should get a TAN and should use it to quote when issuing the payments or getting TDS returns. The Income Tax Department has come up with a service named ‘Know Your TAN’ using which people can now track their TAN details easily by inputting their name or TAN number. Today we will share with you about how to do TAN verification by name or TAN number and how to know your TAN number. Read on!
What is the use of TAN?
As we said earlier, TAN is an alphanumeric number which is issued by IT department. People who are responsible for TDS or TCS should have their TAN number. If incase you don’t have your TAN, you should apply for it online as per Section 203A. It comes to use in submitting many documents like TDS statements, TCS statements, Annual Information Return, TDS/TCS certificates, Challans for payment of TDS/TCS, etc.
If you have forgotten your TAN number while filing any of the documents we have mentioned earlier then you can use this “Know Your TAN” service. If the document is submitted without TAN number, a penalty of Rs. 10, 000 will be imposed for not quoting it. So, if you want to know your TAN number just click on ‘Know Your TAN’ to get it. You need not note the TAN number on your hand or take a hard copy of it while submitting the document. Just by taking online support you can fetch your TAN number right from the office. We have listed out simple steps on how to get your TAN. Find out how!
How to know your TAN?
- First, visit the e-Filing website of the Income Tax Department.
- Start by choosing the Search Type – TAN by Name or TAN by Number.
- From the dropdown menu, select the category of Deductor. You will see a big list from which you need to choose Deductor.
- Select your State where your TAN number is registered.
- Enter your Name or TAN number as per your choice has done above.
- Enter the Captcha code correctly and click on search.
That’s it! Your TAN details along with your PAN number will appear on the screen. The TAN details include TAN, a category of deductor, name, address, PAN, Status, Email ID1, Email ID 2, TAN AO Code, Area Code, AO Type, Range Code, AO Number, AO Description, Building Name, Email ID. If you want to know your TAN select Name in the Search Type whereas if you want to know your TAN Jurisdiction details, select the TAN in the Search Type.
The tax deductors or collectors who want to know TAN number can login in the official website of e-filing of IT Department. We will be providing you with the processing steps to know the TAN number.
- Go visit the authoritative site of the department.
- On the left side of the page, in the Services tab, you can see ‘Know Your PAN|TAN|AO’. Click on TAN.
- You will be directed to the login page where you need to enter your user ID, password, date of birth, Captcha code and click on login.
- On clicking on login, your TAN details will be displayed on the screen.
How to register to know TAN details for the new user?
If you haven’t registered yet or want to open an account in the Income Tax Portal, then you can do so very easily. After registration, you will be allotted with your unique TAN number.
- Go to the login page and click on the New User? Register Now?
- Click on Register Now and it will take you to a registration page where you need to start by selecting the User Type and then click on Continue.
- Enter all the basic details in the page like PAN, Surname, First Name, Middle Name, and Date of Birth and click on submit.
- Now you will be directed to registration step.
- In the registration step, you need to enter all your details in the specified field without any mistakes and also input a password. The password should contain special characters, numbers, and alphabets.
- After filling the form click on submit label.
- On submission, you can see registration successful message along with Transaction ID, Mail ID, and Phone number.
- You will receive an activation link to your Email ID which you need to click to activate the account.
- On clicking the link, you will receive an OTP to your registered mobile number.
- The link will direct you to an activation page where you need to enter the OTP you received to your mobile and click on submit.
- This will activate your ID and you will see a page that says ‘The User ID is successfully activated’.
- Now, you can click on Login right below the page and enter your PAN Number, Name, Date of Birth, etc in the respective fields.
- You can also link your Aadhaar number by entering the Aadhaar number in the field. If you have entered your Aadhaar number, click on Link Now button to activate the Aadhaar with your PAN.
- That’s it! You can now see your TAN details by logging in.
Know your TAN by Name
As we mentioned earlier, you can now your TAN by Name as well as TAN number. We have listed out the steps on how to know your TAN by Name below.
TAN Number Search by Name
- Visit the official website i.e., incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
- Find the Services tab on the left side of the page and in it find ‘Know your PAN | TAN | AO’.
- Click on TAN and now log in with the help of your User ID and password.
- On logging in, your ‘Know Your TAN’ page opens up.
- The Search Type is automatically set to Name. So, don’t change it.
- Select the deductor from the given list in the dropdown menu.
- Select the state.
- Enter all the details in the mandatory fields.
- Enter Captcha code and click on Search.
If you are unable to remember the full name in the application then, you can input the first name or starting of the name. The list of companies that match the input will appear on the screen.
Select the required name and complete TAN details will be displayed.
TAN Verification by TAN Number
- Go to the official website of IT Department e-filing i.e., incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
- Click on TAN on the services block of ‘Know your PAN|TAN|AO’.
- In the Search Type, choose ‘TAN’.
- Select the deductor and state.
- As you have chosen TAN number, enter the 10-digit alphanumeric TAN in the given field.
- Enter the captcha code and click on search.
- On successful search, your TAN details will be displayed on the screen.
The TAN details page that pops up, in the end, is the same using both the process that involves using Name and TAN number. The only difference is that for Search by Name, there is no need to enter the TAN number.
Know your TAN Jurisdiction Building Name
If you want to know TAN Jurisdiction, then you need to follow the below steps.
- Visit the official website www.incometaxindia.gov.in.
- Go to the ‘Important Links’ field where you find the jurisdiction block.
- Click on Jurisdiction where you can find your state. Choose your state where your TAN is registered.
- A PDF file will appear on the screen with all the Jurisdiction Building Addresses.
- Enter the Building Name and search the file to know your Jurisdiction TAN Building Name.
This is how you do TAN verification by name or TAN number and know your TAN Number.